Sunday, May 17, 2009

Athleticism

It seems to me that years ago, being in shape consisted of nothing more than just not eating the triple pounder at McDonalds and having the large shake.  Today, the concept is radically changed.  This weekend I was able to get away to a winery upstate, but instead of drinking wine all day and eating cheese, I brought my bike.

I biked 31 miles though the backcountry of Warwick, NY.  Hills, vales and everything in between. My original route was to bike about 50 miles, after about 25, I realized that I was being overly ambitious given the hilly scenario.  There were no flats, and little opportunity to sit back and relax.  I was in every gear ring combination from 1 to 21 with more then my fair share of times thinking that I wish I could gear down further.  With a max speed of 36 mph and and average speed of 12 mph, I don't feel too bad.

After (finally) getting back to Warwick, NY, I was exhausted and hungry. I decided to skip on the remainder 11 miles and take the shortcut back on the 5 miles to my start location.  I was too tired to go on, and the very nice woman at the bike shop in Warwick informed me that the remainder of my route was all up hill.  

In the end, I am glad to have done it, and look forward to a lot more riding soon.  150+ miles so far, and hoping to make my goal of 500+ this summer!


No comments: