Thursday, August 20, 2009

Finally, a post not about cycling... well not completely anyway

On the work front... As I am now the boss (or am allegedly, as I have yet to reign in the behaviors that have been lax too long), I am at the mercy of every possible calamity that could befall anyone simultaneously. It seems that if something COULD have gone wrong in the past 2 weeks, it did. All the while, every Tom, Dick and Harry has been vying for my time, or the time of my team, I am trying to catch up on the status of projects and the vultures who think that their department is the MOST IMPORTANT department in the world, deserves the undivided attention of every engineer, all the time. Meanwhile, systems are failing left and right, projects are STUMBLING forward (at best) and the opposing troops, or at least those who wish to see me fail for a varying number of reasons, are marshaling at the gates.

All the while, all I can think about, if how can I get ANY time to ride? Perhaps I really am done with the city, the long commute, being a slave to the long hours, high stress, and ultimately, the golden handcuffs. I can certainly live with less. I can live a more meager existence. In fact, the freedom that would come from having less, would be far reaching across all aspects of my life. I suppose the real question remains: Do I have the courage? Have I lost too much already? Has the price been paid? Will I ultimately regret it and wish it could be undone?

Perhaps teaching is the way out....

No comments: