Thursday, August 13, 2009

So perhaps this blog is really about cycling with a few added other things mixed in. Why is that? Probably because I enjoy that more than most anything else in life. It is solitary. For anyone that knows me well enough, people are NOT my forte'. In fact, most people annoy me, so being all alone for hours making myself suffer is perfect for me.

I remember as a kid, we used to ride all the time, my friend Rob and I. We rode and rode until it seemed that the world was far too small. We had no concept of distance back then. No cyclometers, no mapping tools, no GPS, no cell phones. Just us, our bikes and some destination that was far away. We didn't worry about whether or not it was hilly. We didn't worry about rest stops, or what might happen if it rained. We just rode. We didn't know how far or how fast, only that we were riding. I remember getting my drivers license and swearing that I would still ride. We could have logged thousands of miles.... and we just didn't care.

Those are the days I want. Long summer days, riding all day, for 50 miles or more with only a destination in mind. I want this area to be too flat, and too small. I want to ride until it hurts and then keep riding until I can't remember what hurt anymore.

This weekend's metric century is going to be tons of fun. If you are looking for me... I will be on the carbon fiber racer. Keep up if you can!

No comments: